Saturday, May 30, 2009

Smiles and Laughter

Just as an update, I finally found a way to type chinese on my new laptop so there is a chance that future posts might be in Chinese. Afterall, I'm bilingual!

I like to smile and laugh. That's a fact I love to share. I have always believed that smiles and laughter are contagious and it would be my pleasure to spread the joy around. Because I am a simple person to the point that some people coin "naive", the simplest of things are enough to provide me with at least short-term joy. What do I mean? Hmm.... just receiving a sms from my friend Alex telling me that he received my cake and he likes it was enough to make my day and keep me happy! I really could understand the meaning of 施比受,更有福.

Because I often laugh and smile in a silly manner for no reason, many people can get the chance to laugh at my silliness which is COOL because then they are able to laugh too. Some people told me they like my laughter which I feel very consoled. But at the end of the day, below all that smile and laughter, I am still human. As often as I laugh myself silly, I am also enveloped in sorrow and melancholy. Yet when I am encased in the cocoon of the latter, I still have to plaster on a smile so that the people around me don't get affected and so that they can still see the laughter they like.

Haiz.... sometimes I really feel very tired. When the smiles and laughter do not come deep from the heart, I often feel a bolt of sadness right after the laughter. As tears threaten to mar the mood of others, I have but only the choice of masking them with even greater laughter. My smiles, laughter and joy are to be shared yet my sorrow, melancholy and tears are for me alone. I have tried my best never to let my tears see any other person besides myself for the simple reason that I don't have the right to do so. What right do I have, to mar the mood of those I hold close to heart with my pitiful tears of sorrow. I have none.

Yet in the deep recesses of my soul, in a long-forgotton corner of my heart, there is a voice hoping that one day, I can have someone I can cry to. Someone who doesn't need to say a word and just watch me cry. Someone I can hug and borrow a shoulder to wet with my tears. But I know the fufilment of such as akin to Martin Luther King (Jr)'s speech --- "I have a dream". Well, never mind, in the mean while, I will just have to plaster back on my smile and laughter and continue to bring joy to others before one day I get too tired to smile and laugh any more. Then, I will withdraw back into my cocoon of sorrow and melancholy in cold, harsh solitude.

No comments: