Sunday, September 27, 2009

Children and the simplest laughter

I happened to be at Bugis Junction about a week ago and was waiting for my friend. As I waited for his arrival, I just sat down beside the fountain listening to songs serenading out from my MP5. This fountain always had throngs of children frolicking in the water and that day was no exception. Yet another revelation was to be bestowed upon me from an everyday scene.

As the children that ranged from toddlers to primary school age ran in and out of the fountain, their laughter resonated throughout the air. They did not bother whether their clothes were wet or whether they would slip and fall. All they were interested in was the happiness that moment could give them. As I fixated my gaze on these little children, I subconsciously started to smile to myself. Just as I started to think I was being silly, I looked around and found that I wasn't an exception. Everyone was smiling and laughing at the children including foreigners who walked past. I knew laughter was contagious but I never knew it could be on such a large scale.

What everyone saw was an innocence that was left behind when they grew up and it was this innocence that thrilled them. After we have grown up, how many of us would be willing to run in and out of the fountain being drenched and risking the looks of others. When we become too conscious of how others view us, we are no longer willing to reach out for simple things that promise simple happiness. I'm glad I've seen this innocence and though I know I have sacrificed it for growing up, its still heartening to see its manifestation on others.

No comments: