Thursday, May 19, 2011

Asian parents

I've come to realise that asian parents, or at least mine, are often more adept at wielding the stick than the carrot. Whenever anything happens, more often than not they desperately need a target for blaming. They are unable to accept that certain misfortunes in life occur out of bad luck. To them, every bad thing must have a cause and that cause must be you.

When I was told that I should undergo an operation, the first thing I was afraid of was not of the operation itself but rather of the admonishment i risked hearing upon breaking the news to my parents. When I told them of the medical problem I had and that I wanted to visit a doctor, the first thing they said was "Must be you did ..... that's why like this". (Pardon me that I do not reveal what medical problem it is)

This is the exact reason why I take up insurance on my own accord despite my limited financial resources. The last thing I want to deal with if I were to come down with cancer one day is that "Your treatment very expensive" or "Must be you did something/ never do something that's why get cancer". Meanwhile, I can only feel myself drifting away from them.

1 comment:

R said...

although you might disagree with the way your parents express love to you, you must agree that you weigh a significant weight in them. if not, would they even bother to reprimand you?

i dont know what medical condition you have, but i'm confident to say it is not inflicted intentionally. :) cheer up bro..