Friday, November 6, 2009

Intermission story

Hmm.. I really dunno if I should continue the story since it is so easily guessable.. I am really not suitable to be a scriptwriter. Well, in the mean time I thought I would insert an intermission piece. This piece is not really a story by itself and it is even shorter than the previous ones I wrote. It is more of a piece describing a feeling. Purely fictional as always and for your comments.
_______________________________________________
As the clock ticked like drops of water from a leaking tap, I slowly tilted my head towards the magenta calendar on the wall. 7 days. 7 days have passed. Just as slowly, I lowered my head back into the deafening silence that surrounded me. A tiny droplet of crimson fluid made its way unto my pale white hand creating a horrifying contrast of colours. I knew I was yet again consumed into everything, everything that had happened 7 days ago.

The details of what happened no longer held significance as the outcome overshadowed everything in all of its intensity. I had lost my mother to a traffic accident and it was because she wanted to protect me. Whether it was a car or a truck, whether she was hit from the left or from the right, all these no longer mattered. At least to me it didn't.

From the moment she was robbed of her last breath I knew only grief and sorrow would be my dearest companions in the days to come. I never thought of her as everything, yet at that moment, I felt as though I had nothing left. My soul was fragmented, shattered, obliterated. She was the frame supporting me in all good and bad times and as this frame dissolved, so did I.

I did not need to cry. Afterall, tears just seemed to stream down and it was beyond my control. The emptiness within me began to eat into me. It was like a wound that festered or a parasite that was consuming the very essence of me. I seemed to be contained in a blue bubble of sorrow so much that physical human desires did not seem to plague me. The basic hunger, thirst and sleep seemed to know that my soul was too busy with other matters and they took a long deserved break.

My tanned skin began to turn a ghastly white and all life seemed to have been sucked out of me. Everything grinded to a halt and soon I only knew that I had no more tears to shed. Blood seemed to have taken its place readily and there was little I could do to remedy it. People said losing someone important was painful but I touched my heart and asked "Where is the pain?" I no longer had a soul to allow for the manifestation of pain. I longed to ache and to hurt yet all I had was a harrowing emptiness.

Yet, if things were to happen again I would still choose the same ending. This emptiness was not one I could bear to let my mother undergo. I knew just as she was what I lived for, I held the same if not a higher level of importance in her life. The more I was consumed into grief, the more I was thankful that my mother wasn't the one left behind to undergo all this. She didn't deserve to suffer this emptiness. No one deserved to suffer this be it the greatest criminal on earth. Yet if there was someone who had to I'd rather the person be me. Thank you God for saving my mother from this. Thank you.
_____________________________________________
Remember, it is always the living who pains and not the dead. Grieving is never an easy process and I hope courage will be with all who have to undergo such pain.

No comments: